Sunday, January 15, 2012

Owl Hat



I winged this pattern entirely, in fact, I made it up as I went along. So it may take a practiced crocheter and some creativity to get this one done! Measure the circumference of the child's head, subtract one inch (crochet stretches) and divide by 3.14. Yep, I said divide by pi, welcome back to geometry! This is how large to make the diameter of the hat, so increase evenly until this size is achieved, I used a double crochet stitch with a H hook. After the initial crown of the hat is created, continue evenly, for six rows. I did a lighter shade for these parts. After the six rows from the initial crown, I switched to a darker stitch for four more rows. I then cut the yarn and stitched in the extra. To make the horns on the top, I used a double crochet stitch in the dark shade, about an inch and half from the center of the crown of the hat. I crocheted into the hat, around previous stitches. I crocheted three stitches, turned for three more stitches and then turned for two more stitches to form the pointed top. I tied off and then stitched back down through the horn and back into the hat for extra anchoring. I repeated this process on the other side to form two even horns! For the beak I did four double crochets, turned and decreased by one stitch on each turn until I finished with one stitch. Once I finished the beak I stitched it onto the hat. For the eyes I used a white yarn, formed a loop and then double crocheted into the loop to form a tight circle. I did this twice and stitched these two eyes onto the hat. I then added eyelashes with black, and black buttons for eyes. For the ear flaps I laid the hat flat and with the front facing towards me. I marked the edge on each side of the the bottom of the hat, and then did five double crochets on each side of the mark, to make a total of ten stitches in a row. I decreased each row by one until the flap ended with three stitches and then tied off. I then did this on the other side of the hat too. Add yarn to the sides and braid to create the tails and viola! Good luck, feel free to let me know if you get stuck!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...