Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Baseball under the Big Sky

Montana; where speed limits are more like suggestions, laws are more like guidelines and drive in burger joints out number the sit down diners. Missoula is where I was headed on Friday. I hadn't seen my man in the month since he was drafted, I could barely contain my excitement for the weekend!

On Saturday morning Kyle arrived at 6:30 am, after pouring rain delays from the game before in Billings, MT. He had the night off, which was secretly a little relieving because he was clearly exhausted after that drive. He talked about how some guys actually sleep on the bus floor after laying down twin sized pillow tops during these long bus rides. Minor league ball is so glamorous.

He played both Sunday and Monday nights. While Kyle was fielding balls, I was constantly fielding questions about professional ball. When asked how I knew so much about it, I didn't know really how to respond. After thinking it over more, how could I not know every last scrap of the deats? This is my man's job, it's his life! I listen carefully to every word he says about it, I read articles about all the movement with the Angels affiliates and I absorb stats like a sponge. It's just like how he could tell you what a motion to recall a NCO is, or how to safety plan with a domestic violence survivor, or what the tendencies of the Spokane municipal court judges are. What can I say? We dig each others passions!


 Kyle and I on "pro" night, note the Angel's uni!


Sunday night after the game.

Kyle with his so fun and charming second cousins. 


Sliding back to first. 


An at bat on Monday

 

Kyle's first professional home run ball. He presented me with this gem after the game on Sunday.  Supporting Kyle through this journey has presented the most trying of challenges, that quite honestly, most people don't understand. Even though his words came later, that moment made the past couple of years so worth it.

 

Our "off the field" get up


This little girl scrambled down the bleachers and asked Kyle for an autograph. I took a picture of the two of them and caught her parents' eyes. I asked for their email address to send the photo and then her dad said, "Thank you so much, we would love that. We wish you two the best of luck in this adventure, may God bless you both during your travels and this amazing journey!" That completed my weekend. It was this incredible acknowledgment, and a blessing like none other, from a stranger. He was so right, and even though we don't hear it nearly enough, this is our journey. This is what growing up and finding someone you want to spend the rest of your life with is all about. Doing it together, being the ultimate support and foundation for one another. We do it every day! And this guy, this total stranger, reminded me that this is definitely is a joint effort. That this is our journey, together.







1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog, Susan...thank you so much for sharing!
    Deb ")

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...