Big Leaguer for the Day
There's been a lot of moments in my life when I've been really nervous. When I ran for my first ASB office and gave a speech to the entire student body, I was pretty nervous. When I sat in court helping a domestic violence victim for the first time, I was pretty nervous. When we were waiting for Kyle's name to be called in the draft, I was pretty nervous. When Kyle texted me this, I think it's the most nervous, excited, anxious and pumped I have ever been all at one time (except when he proposed).

I sat in my car, shaking with anticipation. What am I supposed to say? Is "good luck babe," rude or thoughtful at this point? I tried to listen to my clients, but all I could think about was how silly I was to book clients on a Saturday. (Looking back, "silly," was a much more appropriate phrase that I could have used to describe my irritation with myself. Instead, I possibly resorted to banging the steering wheel while loudly combining some impressive explicits.)
He wore white pants.
He BS'd with the big boys in the locker room.
He chatted up Josh Hamilton in the dug out.
He did not play.
But honestly, that was okay. I probably never would have forgiven myself if he went in while I was working, even though I was listening to the game on my phone. It was his first big league game, that's a huge deal. But I want to be at the field for the very first time he steps out onto that grass as a bon-a-fide Angel. I am so proud of him, being called up during his first Spring training season, and I am so excited to see what opportunities the future holds for us!

No comments:
Post a Comment