Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day One Hundred and Seventy Four



What a day.

At 1:40 am this morning, we walked out of the Catfish Casino with an extra 170$ in pocket. I'm not an advocate of gambling, but I don't mind the occasional table game every now and then. And I can't lie, my man was hot.

At 8:03 am this morning someone knocked on our front door. Loudly. I didn't make it there in time, seeing as I am a slow morning mover, and because there is a bed in front of the front door for one of the boys. (In Minor League baseball living rooms become bedroom free-for-alls). I opened the door and discovered a trailer with a roofing advertisement on it parked in the front yard and not a soul in sight. Okay.

At 8:43 am I drove the boys to the field. They're leaving on a six day road trip, this one is a little too far away for me to travel to. Well, a lot, they left for Bowling Green, Kentucky and arrived eleven hours later.

At 8:59 am when I returned to our home, there were four roofers in the drive way. Oh hey. They wanted in the kitchen to use an outlet since our garage currently doesn't have electricity. Yes, I tried flipping the breaker. I'm still not hot on the idea of my door being open while they redo the roof for the next few days.

I lost track of time for awhile, and finished a book called "The Forest of Hands and Teeth," on my Kindle. I downloaded the sequel and John Grishams "Calico Joe." 

At 2:00 pm I decided it was probably time to do something physically productive. I went for a run in the gorgeous sun, determined to put in a full 5k today. I was just short of a mile and half out when I rounded a corner in cohesion with a Schwann truck. As he speedily turned out next to me I saw the doors of his freezer compartments fling open in unison. Knowing something wasn't right, I turned tail and dashed towards a nearby porch as huge containers of ice cream and shelving flew out of the truck into my path. Umm WHAT?! The driver slammed on his brakes and jumped out, apologizing profusely. Ice cream and shelving covered the road and sidewalk. Two folks in near by homes heard the commotion, it sure wasn't quiet when the shelving hit the pavement, and came out to help. We all loaded Mr. Schwann man's truck back up, and I continued my jog empty handed despite his protests to take a gallon of ice cream or two! My lanta. (PS: I SO wish I had a photo of this.) 

At 4:00 pm I left to run a few errands. The flooded levels of the Mississippi are starting to drop, but I still couldn't resist walking down to the water for the full experience. It wasn't hard considering the welcome depot of Burlington is half underwater and the waters cover the road ways down town.

At 5:00 pm I met Kyle's host family for "chicken night," at Uncle Ronnie's. This experience has been described to me as a "fun southern to do" on multiple occasions. The chicken was fried, really fried, and the sweet potato fries were to die for. I don't think I've eaten so much since Christmas, and I would be okay if I didn't see another piece of fried chicken in the next three weeks.

At 6:47 pm, I bought ten cases of water for twenty two dollars. I'm unsure if this incredible deal was planned all along or spurred by the recent floodings. When the Mississippi floods the tap water tastes like mud. Not kidding, I know first hand. I don't think I've ever bought so much bottled water in my life.

At 7:26 pm I made it home. Home. Home. I laid down on the couch with a cup of Moroccan Mint tea and two brownies. (Shame, I know, but today was obviously a doozy.... I turned down two gallons of ice cream!) I've applied for three jobs tonight, and I'm still hunting. As all of my sweet friends and family members know, my mind and body are not meant to idle. I blame a mild case of ADHD and an over active child hood. I couldn't sit still to save my life! Please cross your fingers for employment options that are a good fit for our hectic and fun lifestyle.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...