Today was much busier - our first full day. We were up around 7:00 am (all Rome time in the blogs here on out) and went down to breakfast as soon as we were dressed. Breakfast was exactly what I needed after a questionable dinner and airline foods, I really can't wait to get my day started again like this tomorrow. Our hotel is fabulous.
 |
| mmmm |
 |
| so much food! |
Obviously the selection held me over til past 2ish.We started our walk to the Vatican and passed the enormous Plazzo de Giustizia, aka Palace of Justice. It was very imposing!
 |
| Plazzo de Giustizia from the side |
 |
| Plazzo de Giustizia from the front |
After passing this we stopped for a quick water and resisted other temptations.
 |
| gelato |
 |
| pastries |
We crossed the river Tiber to get to the Vatican.
 |
| Tiber River |
When we arrived at the Vatican were we waited for an hour and a half to enter. By the time we got inside the line was MUCH longer, it's a very popular place to visit. We toured the museums as well as the Sistine Chapel. Raphaels work is so impressive. The roof was truly incredible. Unfortunately photos are forbidden...so the one I took isn't the best :)
 |
| Egyptian Museum |
 |
| Ceiling |
 |
| Belvedere de Torso |
 |
| More ceiling |
 |
| Spiral Ramp |
After the Vatican we went to St Peters. There are several of the Popes bodies preserved in tombs here. Kinda creepy, they covered their flesh with masks. Michaelangelo's The Port Santa (Holy Door) was on display here, he finished the sculpture at only 25. We also happened to be there during morning mass, I recorded a small piece of that.
 |
| St. Peters from the Vatican. |
 |
| St. Peters Square |
 |
| A mummified Pope |
This is part of morning Mass - sorry it's sideways, I don't quite know how to fix that
 |
| Almost to the top of the dome! |
 |
| Mosaic - most of the art work inside is made this way, it's aged very well |
 |
| On the way to the top |
O |
| part of the staircases |
 |
| Some random beautiful tourista |
The views off the top of the dome were more than breath taking....or maybe it was the 320 steps to get up to the top through dizzying passage ways. They were steep, very slanted (to accommodate the dome shape) and narrow. All the same, it was definitely worth it.
 |
| From top of the Dome, the Vatican and the city behind it |
By then we were a little hungry so we found a nice outdoor cafe to eat at. The food was amazing, we had clams and mussel, and tomato and mozzarella cheese appetizers. I ordered salmon penne, and then we were both presented with "mirro," after. Like a complimentary beverage, but it's definitely a very stiff shot. Think 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' with the Uumpa chants! View shot and our treasured map.
We started our walk back to the hotel and passed Area Sacra dell'Argentina, the remains of four temples the oldest dating back to 3rd century BC. You may wonder why you might be able to see cats in the photo, well it's Rome's cat sanctuary in the south west corner....I counted over a dozen lounging down there.
 |
| Area Sacra dell'Argentina |
So far I only have these "issues" of sorts with Roma:
1. European women have terrible hair coloring. Like horrendous, the below picture is not a fluke...these colors (and more) are everywhere!
 |
| Orange, bright Red and Purple... |
2. Creepers. Holy moly there are a few of em, trying to hold your hand, following you, staring, repeatedly telling you "you are so beautiful," despite my ignoring. I finally switched my ring over to my married hand. I promise I'm not crazy, besides we got that finger fitted for a reason and Kyle was totally for it! It helped, a lot. Not for the men driving by though...
3. CRAZY DRIVERS! These people are insane drivers. It's seriously a miracle I have not seen a car accident yet. They're fast and aggressive, think Seattle times six! Our driver from the airport was zipping around the highway at 135 km (85 MPH) in one of those little tiny cars while I was holding on to the door handle in total fear.
 |
| Whose going where? |
Not as exhausted tonight after a good night before of sleep. Tomorrow we're going to see the Coliseum and do a little shopping, I found an Italian H&M but there's tons of little shops as well. Feet are just a little sore from all the walking. Grazie for tuning in!
 |
| Sistine Chapel |
My highly prized photo opp, this is the wall in the Sistine Chapel where taking photos is forbidden.
*Disclaimer: These are not the only photos, more coming to Facebook soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment