Monday, November 12, 2012

Day Twelve

This would be my first Veteran's day that wasn't spent curled up with cocoa and homework in four years. Getting up this morning, battling the snow-crazy drivers, and going into a locked up office seemed overly exhausting. The courts were closed today, so it was a very slow day at the office. Add to it that I seemed to have caught Addie's sore throat bug. I should have taken the offer to sleep in!


A little before one o'clock I walked down to the Davenport Hotel for Johnie Mays' celebration of life. I didn't know Johnie well, so I didn't expect my heart to break as much as it did. Watching Kendall talk about her dad today was heart wrenching. Her stories were warm, her renditions humorous, but for the most part my heart ached that my sweet friend was actually saying good bye to her father. Her father who fought brain cancer for twelve years and died before he reached fifty years of age. These are the moments in life that just seem so unfair, so extremely unjust. I try to remember that God has his plan and I try to find comfort in faith, but gosh it's tough. My heart, prayers and positive thoughts go out to Johnie's family and friends today. May he rest in peace.

I was fortunate enough to end the day with penguin pajamas, cocoa and snuggles (I'll take snuggles over homework any day). I'll tell you one thing, there's nothing quite like a happy squealing toddler who leaps into your arms after a seemingly defeating day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...