One Year

I woke up way too emotional this morning. This day, exactly one year ago, our daughter Adelyn was under going an intensive craniotomy (brain surgery where a part of the skull is removed) to remove a 3 mm cyst on the back of her brain. At the time I woke up this morning, one year ago, I was holding my fiancé's hand and fiercely fighting back my tears, while we waited for news from the surgery team operating on our sweet girl. It was the scariest thing I've been through in my life. It was the scariest thing Kyle has been through in his life. And it was the scariest thing that Adelyn has been through in her life. Looking back now I'm really not sure how we made it. I truly think it's because we have the love and support of so many wonderful friends and family.
Here we are one year later, and Adelyn has conquered every set back she's faced. She's learned to talk, to eat, to potty and to walk all over again. She's had to re-do her occupational physical therapy. She's been upset, she's been scared, and she's been confused. I'm certain that tackling this as a family was the glue that makes us so strong today.
When my eyes started misting this morning, which they rarely do, Kyle wrapped me in his arms. I apologized for my tears and said "I have no idea why I'm so emotional right now." Kyle looked at me and simply said "Don't apologize. Of course you are, you're her mom."
Sometimes I feel like I didn't do my life quite right, like I strayed from the trail of perfect, simple and expected. Or that I walked into a huge mess with my super woman cape, not considering that I might not be super woman strong every day of my life. But moments like that remind me I did this life more than right. I have the support of an incredible man and unbelievable family, and the love of a beautiful, strong girl, who I love more than life itself. No matter what challenges we face we will always have each other.
I am so indescribably proud of you sweet pea. Daddy and I so wish we could be there with you today.
No comments:
Post a Comment