Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day Two Hundred and Seventy Five

Today was an off day. At long last, a day with not a single commitment to be had. Ahhhhh. Despite the recently crumby weather we were determined to spend the day at Jensen Beach. We were up early by our standards, 9 am. (I've still haven't really adjusted to Eastern time. No biggie right?) We packed up the cooler and beach chairs then headed down the road to pick up our new friends. We've recently become acquainted with the married Dominican couple down the street, he's a pitcher for the Mets. When the four of us get together we usually comprehend about twelve percent of whatever's said, English or Spanish. But they're very sweet, and patiently teach us new words to expand our Spanish vocabulary.

I still don't know how the Domican players do it, they receive only travel visas to come here to play baseball. They usually don't speak much English and don't have an opportunity to learn when they're working hard at the field all day. I couldn't fathom trying to find a home, orchestrate rides to the field, and take care of every day necessities while in that situation. I have a huge soft spot for those boys and their families.

We spent a fun day on the sand and playing in the waves (holas, like "hi,"), before they treated us to lunch (pollo). The beach was especially interesting today as the sea turtles have now laid their eggs on the shore. It's a serious crime to enter these nesting areas or tamper with them in anyway. We politely set up our beach spot, giving the turtle eggs (juevos de tortugas) a wide berth. No matter where in the world we are, language barriers aside, I can always have a great time with good natured people like the happy couple we spent today with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...