She's finally here!
Our sweet Channing Mae arrived at 8:16 am on Friday, August 28th.
And boy was it a literal whirlwind. If crazy wild and detailed birth stories aren't your thing, feel free to skip this post or just scroll to the end for the more adorable photos our doula's sweet friend, Britta, and I took of Channing's birthday.
On the morning of August 28th, I woke up at around 2:35 am experiencing cramping/contraction feelings. I waited until another one came, about 8 minutes later. Thinking they were pretty intense I called my doula just to ask how I could tell the difference between false labor pains and true labor pains, since they didn't feel at all like the Braxton Hicks I had been having since about 20 weeks. My doula didn't answer, so then I called the midwives on call phone. Victoria, one of the three midwives at Spokane Midwivery answered. She was very patient, but gently told me it was way too early to be calling if contractions were eight minutes apart. I felt pretty silly for calling my midwife for 8 minute contractions, but I was dying to know if these were the real deal because it was two weeks early, and I desperately wanted to know if I should be calling my husband home from Florida.
While on the phone with my midwife, my doula called back several times. When I finished talking to Victoria, I texted Kayla and told her what was happening. She advised that I go back to sleep if I could, and it was hard to tell for sure if these were the real deal. But, if they were then I would be rested for labor, but if they weren't they would go away shortly. This seemed very logical, so I texted Kyle an update and laid back down in bed.
I tried to go back to sleep but the contraction experiences kept coming. I finally got up and went to the bathroom and realized I was losing my mucus plug. Maybe that's why I was so crampy? Some people lose their plug and don't go into labor for days or a few weeks! I texted Kayla again, and let her know what was going on. The contractions/cramps were still coming, they were closer together but maybe more like 5-6 minutes apart by 7 am.
I called Kyle and gave him another update. I said I wasn't feeling the greatest, but it wasn't terrible, so I was going to head into work for two meetings, and finish up some more planning for my leave. I told him to check flights home though, because if these "became," contractions or started happening closer together then I would call for him to come. Then I called my mom, and said I felt kinda funny and it might be nice if she headed up here for the weekend just in case Channing decided to join us. I finished up that phone call, and then was instantly hit by a huge contraction feeling. I decided to get out of bed and take a shower to relax, and as I began to roll over I felt a huge "Channing kick," in my abdomen. But then I heard a literal, "pop," and waters gushed out.
I stood up and hurried to the bathroom. I immediately called Kayla, and she said "okay, so maybe we're having a baby today!" Kayla told me she was calling a sitter for her kiddos, and was just waiting for their arrival, and then she would be headed my way to pick me up and drive to the birth center. Then I called Kyle, and said "My water broke. You should come home now." He said, "I'm on my way, the next flight out is in an hour and I'll be on it!" I hung up and called my mom, who reassured me she was just leaving Prosser and would be here in less than three hours, but that she was driving fast so it could be sooner. Then I set my phone down, and had a moment of panic. I can't believe this is happening two weeks earlier than I planned. This is not post season, I have three good days of work left in me, and my house is only 80% clean. I started a bath, and texted my friend at work to say my water broke and I wouldn't be in today. That was at 7:18 am.
I got into the bath tub, and ran a few inches of water, and then immediately became so uncomfortable that I hopped out. The contractions were stronger now, and I was sure they were the real deal. I laid down a towel outside the bathroom door. I got down on my hands and knees, and began rocking my hips to help alleviate the pain. I called Victoria on my cell phone, and said my water broke and that I was having contractions that were "somewhat painful." She asked me to guess how far apart they were so I just said, "maybe five minutes?" She said, "GREAT! I'm going to take a shower and head to the birth center. Have you eaten breakfast? You'll need energy for the labor today." Breakfast?! Great idea. I did need some of that! I hung up with Victoria. That was at 7:39 am.
The contractions were pretty painful at this point, but I walked down the stairs in our home, and unlocked the front door so Kayla could come in when she arrived. (Absolute genius in retrospect). I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a protein bar off of the counter and was hit with a huge contraction. And urge to make a bowel movement. I hurried into the bathroom across from the kitchen, I was definitely feeling pain now and was using deep breathing to manage it. As I sat down on the toilet, I realized that Channing's head was close to crowning. What?! Seriously?! This can not be happening! There's no way that's her head, but it really can't be anything but her head. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!
I stood up, grabbed my power bar, and headed back up stairs. There's no way I'm having this baby on the one floor of the house with out a bathtub! On my way up the stairs, I called Kayla. "Her head is close to coming out, are you on your way?! I need you to get here!" Kayla said some assortment of calming words that I appreciate now, but maybe not at that time, reassured me she was just leaving her home in Spokane Valley. She told me to call the midwife right away. That was at 8:01 am.
I called Victoria. Between contractions, I said, "Hi Victoria, it's Sue Johnson. Again. Her head is coming. I can see it right now." I had made it back upstairs by this point, and was standing in front of my bathroom mirror. Looking straight down I couldn't see what was happening over my belly, but I could feel the top of her head and her hair with my hand. The mirror was helpful in giving me more insight as to what was happening, and I relayed the details to Victoria on the phone. She calmly told me to put her on speaker. While I was contracting, I was also deeply groaning (my poor neighbors), and told Victoria that this was pretty darn painful. In more colorful language of course. As contractions subsided, Victoria told me (and I distantly remember) that I laughed hysterically saying things like, "Oh my gosh, I can't believe this is happening." or "Oh my gosh, I'm seriously having her in my bathroom right now." As Channing crowned, Victoria talked me through how to guide her head out and prevent tearing. I liberally applied oil that I had been using on my belly as Channing's head moved downwards (thanks for that awesome stuff Kendall!) I was very concerned that I could tear badly and bleed with how fast things had progressed. And with no one else there I was terrified that I may not be able to catch Channing if I lost blood. As these thoughts crossed my mind, and combined with the fact I hadn't eaten my protein bar, my legs began shaking a little. So I moved to the bath tub, that only had a few inches of warm water in it after my failed bathing experience earlier that morning. Victoria continued to talk me through what to do, as my phone repeatedly rang with call waiting from Kayla. I realized that Kayla might have gotten misplaced on her way to my house, so I answered the third call, and she said she was just five minutes away. I'm not sure what else she said, because as I was squatting in the tub during her call Channing's head came out entirely, and I scooped her up as gravity pulled her downward, and gently pulled her up to my chest. That was at 8:16 am.
And then I laid back in the tub with her. She was crying, and I was shocked and tired and hysterically happy all at one time. She was radiant, and I have never felt so strong in my life. She still is radiant. Absolutely stunning. I held her, both of us crying after the fastest ride of our lives.


Then Kayla came in the bathroom door. She called Victoria, and listened as Victoria asked for information about Channing and how she looked. This was all a blur to me. All I knew is that she looked perfect. Absolutely perfect. Then Kayla checked on me. I asked her to take some photos, and she was dying to do so, thank goodness. Then we Facetimed my husband who was just pulling up to the airport at West Palm Beach. He couldn't believe what he was hearing, and I guess I wouldn't have either. He asked Kayla to point the phone down towards Channing and I and I told him all about how she arrived in the bathtub. (The clubby also listened to this entire story since he was driving Kyle to the airport. Poor guy!) I have no recollection of what exactly I said during this conversation, but I do remember the look of relief on Kyle's face when he realized we were both perfectly fine, and then the happy tears as he looked at his baby girl for the first time. Kyle had 25 minutes to make it through security and board his flight, so he assured us he loved us and he was so proud, then hung up and ran into the airport. He barely made his flight. He didn't know it as he was anxiously waiting through the lines, but they held the plane for him for a few extra minutes as he sprinted from security to the gate.
After we talked to Kyle, Kayla washed me off a bit, and then laid down towels from the bath tub to my bed. She pulled spare Hello Kitty sheets from Addie's bunk bed (sorry kid), to cover my clean sheets, hence all of the wild pink in the pictures. When everything was ready, Kayla held Channing and slowly helped me out of the tub. She helped us both settle in my bed. Kayla made sure I was comfortable, grabbing me some water and making me an Oregon chai tea from my fridge, and then Victoria arrived. She looked immediately at Channing to make sure she was okay, and said she looked great. Then she helped deliver the placenta. That was at 9:06 am.
Then I cut Channing's cord. And then Channing nursed, she latched easily. Then my mom arrived. Whew, what a relief that was. She said later that night, that walking into the house was so peaceful and calming. The women here helping me and baby were so calm, gentle and collected, it was blissfully serene.
Dad's first picture of his girls, I sent this so it was waiting for him when he landed in Charlotte.
Once my mom arrived, Victoria weighed and measured our little baby beluga. She weighed 7 pounds, and 6 ounces. She was 20 inches long. She was perfectly healthy, with attentive responses. After we knew Channing was great, Victoria turned her attention to me. Thankfully, I didn't require any stitches or a visit to the hospital for anything else, so Victoria and Kayla helped me to the shower to bathe while my mom held Channing. The hot shower felt amazing, and once I was finished, Channing and I were able to snuggle right back up in bed. Kayla and Victoria cleaned up my bathroom, and ran the wash. Victoria finished making notes in our chart, and once she established that we were okay, she was off to the birth center for another momma who had just begun laboring. Kayla took off after making sure we were comfortable. I'm so grateful for them.
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)

We facetimed Dad when he landed in Charlotte. Then we napped. Hard.

My mom checked in on us while we were resting. When I woke up my Dad and sister had arrived. They held baby Channing for the first time, and then went grocery shopping for me. I had planned to do a big shop after work, but Channing had different plans. With the fridge and cupboards packed, my Dad headed out to pick up Kyle at the airport in Spokane.


When Kyle arrived, I heard his feet quickly climb the stairs. He came into our room, and with the biggest grin on his face, looked at Channing in person for the first time. He was so incredibly happy, I didn't think it was possible, but I fell deeper in love with him as I watched him pick up our sweet girl for the first time. He was so ecstatic, so gentle, and so....perfect, as he scooped her up for their first snuggle.
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
Kyle was able to stay home for three days of leave, before returning to Florida to continue with his rehab and the last regular season games. We can't wait for him to come back home, and in the mean time my awesome Momma stayed to help us out.
I definitely didn't have the birth I planned, but I feel so empowered by my experience. And the preparation I did for a water birth at the birth clinic gave me tons of confidence when I realized I would be having a home birth. I can't say how I would have felt had I been preparing for a hospital birth for the last 9 months. Having Channing at home was absolutely wonderful. Yes, I felt a bit scared as I realized that I would be delivering her solo. Did I choose to push that fear away? Absolutely! If I hadn't, who knows how painful, long, or tough, this labor could have turned out to be. I realized my body was made for this, and I felt a surge of confidence in my ability to deliver her as she was close to crowning. After she arrived, I was comfortable, we didn't have to travel, and we were attended to by strong, experienced and calming women. It's the little things from that morning that still resonate with me. Victoria made herself some tea down stairs before weighing Channing, and was drinking it out of one of my favorite mugs after she examined my baby girl. The first thing I ate after giving birth was a bowl of my Mom's homemade lasagna that had been left over in the fridge. The bed Kyle and I purchased last December was the most comfortable thing I could have imagined as I nursed our sweet baby for the first time. My mom brought me my camera and I took some photos of Channing when she was hours old. Victoria came back to our home the next day to provide the 24 hour check up and blood test for congenital heart defects while I nursed Channing in our living room. She also put Channing's footprint on one of Kyle's baseball's from this season. How amazing is this care? I would recommend Spokane Midwives, Kayla and Britta (our photographer who showed up right away, and eased all of my anxieties of not having any nice photographs after a speedy labor) to anyone! However, my mom, who has deep cleaned my house, prepped tons of freezer meals, woken up with me in the night after Kyle had to return for baseball, and drives us around for errands, AND gave me the precipitous labor gene, is not up for grabs, hehe.


(Can I just say, not every kid has a birth certificate that says "Delivered by Mommy.")
Dad's first picture of his girls, I sent this so it was waiting for him when he landed in Charlotte.
Once my mom arrived, Victoria weighed and measured our little baby beluga. She weighed 7 pounds, and 6 ounces. She was 20 inches long. She was perfectly healthy, with attentive responses. After we knew Channing was great, Victoria turned her attention to me. Thankfully, I didn't require any stitches or a visit to the hospital for anything else, so Victoria and Kayla helped me to the shower to bathe while my mom held Channing. The hot shower felt amazing, and once I was finished, Channing and I were able to snuggle right back up in bed. Kayla and Victoria cleaned up my bathroom, and ran the wash. Victoria finished making notes in our chart, and once she established that we were okay, she was off to the birth center for another momma who had just begun laboring. Kayla took off after making sure we were comfortable. I'm so grateful for them.
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)

We facetimed Dad when he landed in Charlotte. Then we napped. Hard.

My mom checked in on us while we were resting. When I woke up my Dad and sister had arrived. They held baby Channing for the first time, and then went grocery shopping for me. I had planned to do a big shop after work, but Channing had different plans. With the fridge and cupboards packed, my Dad headed out to pick up Kyle at the airport in Spokane.


When Kyle arrived, I heard his feet quickly climb the stairs. He came into our room, and with the biggest grin on his face, looked at Channing in person for the first time. He was so incredibly happy, I didn't think it was possible, but I fell deeper in love with him as I watched him pick up our sweet girl for the first time. He was so ecstatic, so gentle, and so....perfect, as he scooped her up for their first snuggle.
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
(Courtesy of Britta McCauley)
Kyle was able to stay home for three days of leave, before returning to Florida to continue with his rehab and the last regular season games. We can't wait for him to come back home, and in the mean time my awesome Momma stayed to help us out.
I definitely didn't have the birth I planned, but I feel so empowered by my experience. And the preparation I did for a water birth at the birth clinic gave me tons of confidence when I realized I would be having a home birth. I can't say how I would have felt had I been preparing for a hospital birth for the last 9 months. Having Channing at home was absolutely wonderful. Yes, I felt a bit scared as I realized that I would be delivering her solo. Did I choose to push that fear away? Absolutely! If I hadn't, who knows how painful, long, or tough, this labor could have turned out to be. I realized my body was made for this, and I felt a surge of confidence in my ability to deliver her as she was close to crowning. After she arrived, I was comfortable, we didn't have to travel, and we were attended to by strong, experienced and calming women. It's the little things from that morning that still resonate with me. Victoria made herself some tea down stairs before weighing Channing, and was drinking it out of one of my favorite mugs after she examined my baby girl. The first thing I ate after giving birth was a bowl of my Mom's homemade lasagna that had been left over in the fridge. The bed Kyle and I purchased last December was the most comfortable thing I could have imagined as I nursed our sweet baby for the first time. My mom brought me my camera and I took some photos of Channing when she was hours old. Victoria came back to our home the next day to provide the 24 hour check up and blood test for congenital heart defects while I nursed Channing in our living room. She also put Channing's footprint on one of Kyle's baseball's from this season. How amazing is this care? I would recommend Spokane Midwives, Kayla and Britta (our photographer who showed up right away, and eased all of my anxieties of not having any nice photographs after a speedy labor) to anyone! However, my mom, who has deep cleaned my house, prepped tons of freezer meals, woken up with me in the night after Kyle had to return for baseball, and drives us around for errands, AND gave me the precipitous labor gene, is not up for grabs, hehe.








(Can I just say, not every kid has a birth certificate that says "Delivered by Mommy.")
Sue, that story was sooo touching - it brought tears to my eyes! What an amazing experience...and you are an amazing woman!
ReplyDeleteFantastic. You were meant to have babies. Brought tears to my eyes also.
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks for sharing! It's incredible how empowering knowledge about brith and our bodies is especially to birth at home! This story brought tears to my eyes! I am so happy for you and your family :) your birth story is similar to mine: quick, overnight, and guided over the phone! You are amazing and so strong! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Just now reading and if anyone could deliver their own baby it would definitely be you. She is so beautiful and so glad that everyone made it safely to see her on the day she arrived :)
ReplyDelete