Saturday, November 23, 2013

Christmas, Christmas. Stuff, Stuff.

Today I posted a gift registry comprised of Adelyn's Christmas gifts on Facebook for our friends and family.

As politely as possible.

I wrestled with the idea, although my husband was entirely supportive. I think a joyful part of Christmas IS shopping for others. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that a very large percent of what folks get Addie is ultimately donated, re-sold, re-gifted, or is still in my storage unit because she doesn't play with it. Please don't get me wrong here, because Addie has also received a lot of gifts that have been very engaging for her.

As a kid, I had a ton of books! A literal ton. I had a huge box of art supplies, I crafted constantly. And I played outdoors, a lot. Addie is pretty similar. Except, when she doesn't use a gift I feel obligated to put in storage so she can 'truly appreciate this wonderful gift from cousin Johnny,' at a later date. It sits in storage and I make ridiculously large payments on it. I come home, dig it out of storage and show it to Addie before placing it in her room. Does she ever touch it? No. Do I get frustrated for the amount of perceived effort and money this item is now worth? Heck yes. Do I donate it? You can bet your bum I do. Recently, I'm alleviating my future frustrations by donating these type of things as soon as we receive them. It just seems more practical.

So what is Addie into? Soccer, swimming and gymnastics. I'm hoping tennis and basketball soon. She's into reading funky books about animals, dinosaurs and cars. Playing outside at the park and the lake. Playing inside at Mobius, Jump for Joy and the Kroc. She's obsessed with space. She road trips, a lot. She has a MobiGo2 and a LeapPad Ultra for learning and entertainment on those road trips. We're respectfully asking for less stuff, less stress, and more practicality this giving season, so please check out the registry. I can personally guarantee you that the gifts from it will not be going to Goodwill, Hospice or St. Pius this year. I promise that we remind Addie who her gifts come from when she's enjoying them, and that we do love you and appreciate your generosity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...